Join our team multiple positions available!
Bus Drivers Paid Training
Operates a Steamboat Springs Transit (SST) bus on designated fixed routes in a safe, professional manner to provide dependable, friendly transportation for residents and guests.
Works under the direct supervision of the shift Transit Supervisor.
The qualified individual
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Serves as an ambassador of the City to more than 1 million annual guests and residents by operating Steamboat Springs Transit coach on a fixed route, adhering to published times and in accordance with Federal, State and Local Rules, regulations and laws.
Responsible for the safety and well-being of up to 50 bus passengers at any given time during assigned shifts.
Gathers and maintains accurate passenger counts; collects any required fares; complete appropriate forms for any incidents and/or collisions.
Provides reliable, expert service to the general public while enforcing all rules and regulations relating to passenger safety, and safe bus operation.
Inspects vehicle prior to putting same into service, at mid-shift and at the end of each shift; reports any mechanical deficiencies to supervisor..
Fuels, services, and cleans the transit coach at the end of each day. This may include cleaning up biohazards.
Interacts with passengers to enforce Federal, State and local rules and regulations to maintain safe transit operations.
Completes and maintains required information on appropriate vehicle inspection forms.
Performs other duties as assigned.
We are seeking the following qualifications
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from High School or equivalent.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Becomes knowledgeable of the bus schedule and the area, including activities and events, to answer customer inquiries in a courteous and patient manner at all times.
- Neat appearance and ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public.
- Must be able to work long hours and not be adversely affected by burnout or high stress.
- Must be able to safely work in an environment with light to moderate physical activity.
- Must be able to safely work in an environment where the driver will be operating at highway speeds requiring acute perception and quick reflexes in all weather conditions, varying passenger loads, and in all varying traffic patterns.
- No mental, emotional or physical limitation per the Federal Department of Transportation regulations that would limit the driver’s ability to perform assigned duties.
- Driver may operate vehicle outside of city limits without readily available assistance resources.
- Skill in operating City buses in a safe and efficient manner. Ability to have dimensional awareness of the bus at all times and ability to maneuver the bus next to/around objects without contact.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to identify medical, and/or other such problems that may occur with passengers on the transit coach, or in a transit shelter and relay that information to appropriate medical or law enforcement entities. Drivers may also be put on alert from Routt County Dispatch for persons of interest that may be on a transit coach.
- Ability to understand basic mechanical aspects and operations of each transit coach, to include ADA required tasks such as lift deployments and mobility device securement processes.
- Must pass pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Screen; and
- Must be 21 years of age and possess, or be qualified to attain, a valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s License with appropriate endorsements; and
- Motor Vehicle Records must show that you have not accumulated more than four points on your license in the past three years; and
- Must be able to comply with City of Steamboat Springs and Steamboat Springs Transit standard operating procedures; and
- Must not have had a DUI in the past 7 years or a DWAI in the past 5 years